The Structure Sensor is a Kinect-like device that, when strapped to a mobile device, allows for 3D scanning, mapping and a variety of application, including games. The device is still in the developing stages but it wouldn't surprise me if in a few years such a feature will come standard with most smartphones.
The Structure Sensor is the world?s first 3D sensor for mobile devices. It gives mobile devices anew sense the ability to not just capture the world as two-dimensional images, but to actuallyunderstand it in three dimensions.
This enables a completely new set of mobile applications, including:
· 3D mapping of indoor spaces for instant measurements and virtual redecoration.
· Augmented reality (AR) games where virtual objects interact precisely with the geometryof the physical world, including occlusions.
· 3D object scanning for 3D content creation with no knowledge of CAD required.
· Body scanning for fitness tracking and virtual clothes fitting.
· Virtual reality games using 3D environments imported from the real world.
Unlike previous 3D sensors, which were designed to connect to game consoles and computers,the Structure Sensor has been designed from the ground up to go mobile: compact dimensions,mobile-optimized range, no external power source required for operation, and a precisionbracket that lets it quickly and securely attach to an Apple iPad with Lightning connector.
|Amazon Now Sells Cars|
|IKEA-Designed Flat-Packed Refugee Home|
|Pixel Scratch Card|
|The Big Red Button: A Panic Button Light Switch Replacement Kit|
|“Bioinspired Polymeric Woods.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“The more employees are watched, the harder they try to avoid being watched.”|
|“When Life Gives You Lemons.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|The Paper Airplane Database|
|Why, Typewriters Are Alive and Well, Thank you|
|“Long live the instant gratification economy—and the increasingly sophisticated technology that’s enabling it.”|
|“Social robots will be uniquely personal.”|
|Fake Name Generator|