Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|Net-Neutrality Backers, Telcos Spar Over Stimulus' Broadband Rules|
|New York State's Lawmakers Propose Ban on Anonymous Online Speech|
|"If the map I see is different from the one you do, how are we going to agree on what we're looking at?"|
|Rumpetroll: Social Networking for Scandinavian Sperms?|
|Meet the New Frontline Bloggers: Security Contractors|
|“A two-legged robot created by Agility Robotics, designed to get your delivery from a car to your door.”|
|“For the first time in the history of life, we can affect the future of our evolution.”|
|“Self-driving trucks will begin hauling mail between USPS facilities.”|
|Recycled Vacuum Lamps|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“The company is losing billions, has essentially no underlying value, and its business could be hammered overnight.”|
|Naked Preacher Lady [NSFW]|
|“A new residential building under construction will feature a flying car skyport on the roof.”|
|“A deep fake sex video emerges in a Google search of your name.”|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|Be an Unfucker|