Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|Reactions from Facebook Users Who Think Stories from 'The Onion' Are Real|
|"The scariest part of the NSA revelations."|
|The Growing Fight Over Personal Information|
|"The Internet as we know it is dead."|
|“It takes a while for us to realize exactly what they’ve done that’s so terrible.”|
|Time Lapse of Planet Earth as Seen from the Space Station|
|“A short cut through spacetime allowing for travel over cosmic scale distances in a short period.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“If you fell asleep in 1945 and woke up in 2018 you would not recognize the world around you.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“Reliably bottling up miniature stars, inside complex machines on Earth, demands otherworldly amounts of patience.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|The Racist, Sexist Tendencies of AI|
|Read Advice People Wish They Had at Your Age|
|Timelapse of a Tesla Model 3 Being Made|
|Walking Car Concept|
|Recycled Vacuum Lamps|