Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|"Guest blogging is done; it's just gotten too spammy."|
|God did it, why can't we? UN ponders 'Net "10 commandments"|
|Icons of the Web: 5 Gigapixel Favicon Map|
|WarKitteh: Cat Collar to Snoop on Wifi Networks|
|Search Engine DuckDuckGo Growing in Popularity|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“It's not more expensive to build and it's hugely cheaper and more efficient to live in.”|
|“But what about when those technologies destroy the environment?”|
|What Nothing Really Means in Seinfeld|
|Can a Ceiling Fan be Converted into a Turbine Generator?|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|Fake Name Generator|
|Naked Preacher Lady [NSFW]|
|If Sir David Attenborough Restored Vintage Toys|
|“How easy it is for anyone who tracks our digital activities to gain insight into our personalities.”|