I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|The Development of Weak Artificial Intelligence|
|Online Education: As Boring As the Real Deal|
|(Another) Newspaper of the Future|
|"Cycorp's goal is to codify general human knowledge and common sense so that computers might make use of it."|
|Contour Crafting: 3D Printing an Entire House|
|Time Lapse of Planet Earth as Seen from the Space Station|
|“A short cut through spacetime allowing for travel over cosmic scale distances in a short period.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“If you fell asleep in 1945 and woke up in 2018 you would not recognize the world around you.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“Reliably bottling up miniature stars, inside complex machines on Earth, demands otherworldly amounts of patience.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|Read Advice People Wish They Had at Your Age|
|The Racist, Sexist Tendencies of AI|
|Timelapse of a Tesla Model 3 Being Made|
|Walking Car Concept|
|Recycled Vacuum Lamps|