Buckyballs Are No More

Swallowing strong magnets is bad for you

#Products

Tue, Jul 29th, 2014 11:00 by capnasty NEWS

According to Gizmodo, as of last week Buckyballs are no more. After some 1700 children went to the hospital as a result of swallowing the small magnets, Buckyballs have been completely banned. Here's why:

As it turns out, the powerful magnetic forces that make the balls so much fun to tinker with also make them absurdly dangerous if they end up inside your body. As gastroenterologist Bryan Vartabendian explains on his blog:

When two are ingested they have a way of finding one another. When they catch a loop of intestine, the pressure leads to loss of blood supply, tissue rot, perforation and potentially death.

If that sounds bad, it's really a very mild, clinical description when compared to the reality. The magnets are powerful enough that if you ingest two balls separately they're going find each other no matter what, ripping you apart like slow-moving magnetic bullets if necessary to do so.

  1190

 

You may also be interested in:

RING RULER: A Size-Adjustable Circular Ruler
EKOCYCLE Cube: 3D Printer Uses Waste as Printing Material
Kickstarter Reviews 2013 Projects
Disk-it: Floppy Disk Shaped Sticky Notes
Upcycling in the Age of 3D Printers