You know Upworthy, they're responsible for those clickbait headlines everyone (and their mother) share on Facebook about a million times. If you've had enough, the browser plugin Downworthy automagically rewords them for what they actually mean.
Downworthy replaces hyperbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. For example:
- "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
- "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
- "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
- "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
- "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
- "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
- "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
- ... and so on. (see the spoilers list below)
These articles are, in general, not nearly as bad as their titles - but the titles have become SO overblown, they're meaningless and annoying. But people still click, so the trend continues. Consider this me doing my part to stop the insanity.
|"Do we want to live on that Erasable Internet, the Snapchat Internet, instead of the Internet built by Facebook and Google?"|
|Lorem Pixel: Placeholder Images for Every Case|
|Graph Search: Facebook's Terrifying New Search Tool|
|WhatsApp Sold to Facebook for $19 Billion|
|Internet Phone Charges|
|“Self-driving trucks will begin hauling mail between USPS facilities.”|
|“For the first time in the history of life, we can affect the future of our evolution.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|Recycled Vacuum Lamps|
|Naked Preacher Lady [NSFW]|
|“A driverless electric truck began daily freight deliveries on a public road.”|
|Fake Name Generator|
|“You can often hide from an AI video system with the aid of a simple color printout.”|
|“A deep fake sex video emerges in a Google search of your name.”|
|“We are undergoing the greatest economic transformation in our history, and we are dealing with it by pretending nothing is happening.”|