You know Upworthy, they're responsible for those clickbait headlines everyone (and their mother) share on Facebook about a million times. If you've had enough, the browser plugin Downworthy automagically rewords them for what they actually mean.
Downworthy replaces hyperbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. For example:
- "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
- "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
- "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
- "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
- "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
- "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
- "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
- ... and so on. (see the spoilers list below)
These articles are, in general, not nearly as bad as their titles - but the titles have become SO overblown, they're meaningless and annoying. But people still click, so the trend continues. Consider this me doing my part to stop the insanity.
|Hovering Art Directors|
|Rivals bid to snatch green domain|
|“Without any security company in the world recognizing that it even existed.”|
|An International Police to Fight Against a Hostile Internet|
|Netflix: "It's almost a human rights violation what they're charging for internet access in Canada" #CRTC|
|“Bioinspired Polymeric Woods.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“When Life Gives You Lemons.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“The more employees are watched, the harder they try to avoid being watched.”|
|The Paper Airplane Database|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|Why, Typewriters Are Alive and Well, Thank you|
|“Companies like Google seem to have a dangerous disconnect from those of us in the world outside their confines.”|
|“Long live the instant gratification economy—and the increasingly sophisticated technology that’s enabling it.”|
|Fake Name Generator|