Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|Bundled, Buried & Behind Closed Doors: the Hidden Internet Infrastructure|
|The Internet Makes Stupid People Stupider and Smart People Smarter|
|Tackling spam should be part of the campaign to reduce carbon emissions|
|“Social media can be good but we must be careful with how we use it.”|
|Judging by the Number of Security Violations by the NSA, #Snowden Falls Under the Category of 'Whistleblower'|
|“Both spacecraft are still operational when they reached interstellar space.”|
|"Free apps make money by selling your personal data."|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“Initial riders may be more comfortable getting into a car with a human in the driver seat.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|The Festive Funk Machine: Click to Make Your Own Festive Music|
|Naked Preacher Lady [NSFW]|
|Fake Name Generator|
|“We’ve received requests to add some artificial noise to the buses so that people can hear them.”|