Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|Dr Brooke Magnanti on How to Blog Anonymously|
|Icons of the Web: 5 Gigapixel Favicon Map|
|Facebook Home: Not Quite the Facebook Phone, But Pretty Close|
|Hot Chicks in Batman Shirts|
|"The on-demand world isn't about sharing at all. It's about being served. This is an economy of shut-ins."|
|“Cheap fakes' are the new fake news.” #DeepFakes|
|“They created a dictatorship without mercy.”|
|“Airbus says his company already has the technology to fly passenger planes without pilots at all.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“It knows the very contours of my face.”|
|iPhone 6, the First Smartphone to Disrupt NSA's Spying|
|Darth Vader Surfing|
|Fake Name Generator|
|If Sir David Attenborough Restored Vintage Toys|
|“When Life Gives You Lemons.”|