Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|Canadian Government Shuts Down Parody Websites|
|U.S. tests system to break foreign Web censorship|
|McDonald Killed the Hipness of Free Wi-Fi|
|Vatican: Blame the Internet for Growing Need of Exorcism|
|Facebook Can Predict a Change in a Userâ€™s Relationship Status Before it Occurs in Real Life.|
|“Wouldn't it be nice if you were rewarded for all of the little good things you do.”|
|“That's how different these results are becoming.”|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|A Really Fast Electric Skateboard|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“Never let a good crisis go to waste.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“Instead of consuming fossil fuels, it would then feed surplus electricity into the grid.”|
|When the Wrong Hastag Can Get You Killed by an Assassination Drone|
|Amateur-Built Electric Car Going After Record Set by Tesla|
|“For the first time in the world, AI will run in an election.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|