Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|25 People That Thought Lil' Kim Died|
|"Fuck yeah Keming!": Celebrating Horrendous Kerning|
|ROOKIE: a Zine for Teenage Girls|
|Fact and a Photo, Everyday|
|WiFi -- Why Are We All Still Paying for This?|
|“A man-powered machine that creates scarfs in 5 minutes.”|
|Fake Name Generator|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“If I’m upset with Facebook, what’s the equivalent product I can go sign up for?”|
|Google Map Shows You the Most Photographed Areas of the World|
|“In comparison to the waste produced by every other kind of electricity production, that quantity is close to zero.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“Research that could engineer dinosaurs back into existence within the next five to 10 years.”|
|What Computers See When They Watch a Movie|
|“The only thing worse than assuming that carbon removal will save the day is assuming it will save the day.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|Knowing how to operate a smartphone does not qualify as being tech savvy.|