Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|How Facebook is Bad for You|
|The Selfie: the Self-Portrait of the Digital Age|
|What They Thought the Internet Would Be Like in 1969|
|Infographic: Internet Censorship Is Rampant Around the World|
|The World's Smallest Lawns, Now a Tumblr Blog|
|“If you’re dating, you’re going to be let down. You’re not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.”|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|iPhone 6, the First Smartphone to Disrupt NSA's Spying|
|“Systemd is, to put it mildly, controversial.”|
|“The Amazon Dash button for horny men and women who don’t feel comfortable telling their partner they’d like to have sex.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“A low flyover of Jupiter's moon Europa.”|
|Recycled Vacuum Lamps|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“A sophisticated global marketing strategy from an industry that is desperate to attract new smokers.”|
|Testing Whether the Earth is Round or Flat|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|