Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|Nearly a Quarter of Americans Do Not Use the Internet|
|Tomorrow is Quit Facebook Day|
|Should You Respond To Every Email? No. In Fact, Just Use the Phone|
|Email is the Cockroach of the Internet|
|Hundreds of Facebook groups hijacked|
|The Spaceship Propulsion Compendium|
|Soviet Air Force’s First All-Female Bombing Squad|
|"This very internationalism that contributed to the apocalyptic disaster that ended the Bronze Age."|
|Reviewing Counterfeit Toys Made in China|
|"Most of what kids currently learn at school will probably be irrelevant by the time they are 40."|
|“There was not only automation but where the suggestion that humans had any control [...] was absent too.”|
|Unboxing a Factory Sealed IBM Compatible PC from 1988|
|"Fossil fuel executives want to get a piece of the clean-energy business."|
|“The release of methane from hydrate may be apocalyptic.”|
|Nerf John Wick|
|Introducing Our First Twitter Bot (Sort of): Miss Fortune at @bottune|
|Pat the Zombie: A Cruel Adult Spoof of 'Pat the Bunny'|