Calling Facebook "what the internet should've been from the very beginning," Børge Forteller wants to weaken the popular social media site and take back the web from it.
What is the allure of Facebook? Why is everyone using it (including me), even though it's clearly bad for our online freedom and privacy (read: bad for the world)? There are a ton of features which makes Facebook almost impossible to escape, like
• «Everyone» is there, making it easy to keep in touch with old and new friends
• There's a group for anything
• It's dead simple to create new groups, making it ideal for collaboration
• A simple chat function lets you see if someone is online and start talking with them right away, straight from the tab in your browser that you already have open
• Get all the latest news from your favorite blogs, web comics and everything else in one place by the click of a «Like»-button.
And all of this is available anywhere, not just where you have your chat client etc.
These are some of the functionalities we need to replicate if we want people to move away from Facebook.
Also, amusing: in either 2060 or 2130, depending on whether or not Facebook's popularity wanes, there will be more profiles for dead people than living ones.
|News Sites Rethink Anonymous Online Comments|
|Hello, Printer: Open-Source Kit for Internet-Connected Thermal Printers|
|WiFi -- Why Are We All Still Paying for This?|
|ColorCo.de: Generate Colour Palettes|
|Join us on Twitter|
|Schools Monitoring Students' Social Media Feeds|
|WannaCry is Childsplay Compared to This|
|"They don't want to believe that their own intelligence is deterministic."|
|“It’s not something you would expect to see there and not something we’ve seen there before.”|
|"Is meant to produce more energy than it consumes."|
|"The first to target civilians and the first such malware built to target a nation’s power supply."|
|“Making paper out of stone.”|
|“Drone carrying defibrillators could begin operating in Sweden.”|
|“We have to forget steel as a core employer.”|
|"Its tilted axis makes orbit, showing the position of the sun and the time."|
|Making a Movie Inside a Video Game|
|A Simple Task for CRISPR|