I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|When do ice ages begin?|
|Stanford University's High-Speed Self-Driving Audi TT|
|The Flying Car: A Little Late, But Here it Comes|
|Bitcoin is Poised to Change Society Much More Than the Internet Did|
|"How the world will look in just a few years, once our cell phones become the keepers of both our money and identity."|
|“Every human being on this planet will be completely redundant within a decade.”|
|“These planets are more likely to look like giant eyeballs whose gaze is forever fixed on their host star.”|
|Fake Name Generator|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“A new privacy scandal that’s getting far less attention.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“The Amish use us as an experiment.”|
|“Single use forever launch clock.”|
|When the Wrong Hastag Can Get You Killed by an Assassination Drone|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“Without any security company in the world recognizing that it even existed.”|
|Amateur-Built Electric Car Going After Record Set by Tesla|