I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|Robotic Bees to Replace Organic Pollinators|
|The Good and Bad that Will Come out of Artificial Intelligence|
|European Union Wants Police to be Able to "Remote Stop" Cars|
|A Day Made of Glass: Corning's Vision of the Future|
|Robots Are Guarding U.S. Nuclear Stockpiles|
|“If you could decide today... how long do you want to live?”|
|“From sand to soil in 7 hours.”|
|A Bicycle with No Pedals You Run With|
|“They're usually these people that have been fucked by the system who are trying to unfuck themselves.”|
|“Parti.Vote is designed to make the US's representative government system more equitable.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|Google Map Shows You the Most Photographed Areas of the World|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“If the facial data and related personal information is stolen and put on the internet, it will cause big problems.”|
|“As users, it’s important to be aware of how the platform is manipulating you.”|
|"Hours after the fires in Santa Rosa I filmed this postal worker still delivering the mail."|
|Watson 2016 #thinkwatson|