I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|“Your great-grandparents may phone you up to ask you to babysit your granduncle for the evening.”|
|The Impact of Self-Driving Cars|
|COIN: Replace Your Debit, Credit and Loyalty Cards With a Single Smart One|
|"He believes that the way his toddler learns and reasons may hold the key to making machines much more intelligent."|
|How E-Maps Curtail Freedom|
|“I can’t wait for the day robots rule.”|
|“The first-ever driverless mass transit test program.”|
|“AI codes its own ‘AI Child’.”|
|Pat the Zombie: A Cruel Adult Spoof of 'Pat the Bunny'|
|How to Escape Planet Earth|
|“Some of us will do anything to be liked.”|
|“Automation doesn't have to be a replacement for human workers.”|
|“The e-Palette, a vehicle that may one day not only deliver, but cook Pizza Hut offerings en route.”|
|“Scientific evidence that digital distraction is damaging our minds.”|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“Imagine if you were allowed to eat as many M&M’s as you wanted.”|
|“An autonomous grocery store department on wheels”|