I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|3D-Printed Self-Driving Bus Ready to Go Now|
|"He believes that the way his toddler learns and reasons may hold the key to making machines much more intelligent."|
|"10 innovations that are radical enough to alter our lives."|
|When Will Computers Think Like Humans?|
|Large Hadron Collider Damaged by a Time-Traveling Bird?|
|“You become more difficult for an algorithm to understand, market to, or manipulate.”|
|Smart Solar Panel Window Blinds|
|"The machine had gotten inside the human’s head."|
|"Low-cost solar and human-powered vehicle."|
|"The most automated warehouse of its kind"|
|Princess Leia’s Stolen Death Star Plans|
|"How will that impact human evolution going forward?"|
|"Contact could mean extraordinary things for humanity if it happens soon."|
|Changing the Oil of Your Car is so Easy, Even a Kid Can Do It|
|A Brief History of the Entire World, I Think|
|"Synthetic biology is the realm of creating life from scratch."|