I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|MotionBean: Next Generation Projection-based Interactive Portable Games|
|"The evidence of dramatic change is all around us and it’s happening at exponential speed."|
|"It would therefore theoretically be possible to live indefinitely without getting an old body."|
|The Way to Speedier Travel: Get Rid of Train Stations|
|"Renewable are no longer ‘alternative.’ Rather, fossil fuels are increasingly ‘legacy.’"|
|“A driverless electric truck began daily freight deliveries on a public road.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|Naked Preacher Lady [NSFW]|
|Fake Name Generator|
|Recycled Vacuum Lamps|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“A new residential building under construction will feature a flying car skyport on the roof.”|
|Creepstream: Looking at Insecure Camera Feeds From Around the World|
|“You can often hide from an AI video system with the aid of a simple color printout.”|
|“A deep fake sex video emerges in a Google search of your name.”|
|“The company is losing billions, has essentially no underlying value, and its business could be hammered overnight.”|