I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|100 years on, thinker's predictions mostly true|
|Scientists: Now That We Found the Higgs Boson, Light-Speed Travel Possible|
|Google-Cars Drive Themselves Like Formula 1 Race Cars|
|Addicted Products: 'Internet of Things' Toaster That Gets Upset if Not Used Enough|
|Predictions for 2112: Ocean Farming, Telepathy, Immortality|
|“It’s taking orders for a real-life flying motorcycle powered by five modified jet engines.”|
|“By day, she visits morgues, observes autopsies, and studies pictures of crime scenes.”|
|What Nothing Really Means in Seinfeld|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|“Featuring over 2,000 flags in motion to Ludwig van Beethoven.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|Fake Name Generator|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|“Without ads, how does Netflix manage to make money?”|
|“How easy it is for anyone who tracks our digital activities to gain insight into our personalities.”|
|If Sir David Attenborough Restored Vintage Toys|