I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|Everything 'Back to the Future' Got Right About 2015|
|Researchers Store Entire Book in DNA|
|Amelia, AI System Which Mimics Human Thinking|
|3D-Printed Self-Driving Bus Ready to Go Now|
|"The gun that reads James Bond's palm print in 'Skyfall' is no longer a futuristic plot twist."|
|“This 160-step biochemical process is very well studied, and surprisingly inefficient.”|
|“Eliminating the time needed to stop and re-charge a conventional electric car’s battery.”|
|“Nobody is forcing the participants to stay, of course, but if they leave, they won’t be paid.”|
|Making a Movie Inside a Video Game|
|“During this phase of decline, the US was likely to go through a phase of reactionary 'fascism'.”|
|“Our Internet handlers, not government, are using operant conditioning to modify our behaviour today.”|
|Google Map Shows You the Most Photographed Areas of the World|
|“We’re going to start to see chip implants get the same realm of acceptance as piercings and tattoos.”|
|“The shift from fuel and pistons to batteries and electric motors is unlikely to take that long.”|
|“Within 30 years, half of humanity won't have a job. It could get ugly — there could be a revolution.”|
|“After 78 years, the helicopter has been reinvented.”|
|Defacing Street Signs Can Send Self-Driving Cars Crashing|