I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|The Triumph of the Ordinary Cellphone|
|“We’re going to start to see chip implants get the same realm of acceptance as piercings and tattoos.”|
|Bionic Hand Restores Sense of Touch|
|The Flying Car: A Little Late, But Here it Comes|
|The Fourth Industrial Revolution Explained|
|“Prof Mallett has wanted to build a time machine for most of his life.”|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“Inhibiting this pathway has extended life span in every species studies to date.”|
|“A company headquartered in Toronto runs a successful affordable mobile phone service in the US.”|
|Somebody Needs to Build a New Facebook Stat|
|“Social media can be good but we must be careful with how we use it.”|
|Why, Typewriters Are Alive and Well, Thank you|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“Forget everything you were taught about having your phone out at the table — you'll need it to call the robots that serve you.”|
|“Artificial intelligence can detect your sexuality and politics just by looking at your face.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|