I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|Almost Out of Internet Addresses|
|"Graphene is one of the few materials in the world that is transparent, conductive and flexible -- all at the same time."|
|American City of the Future: 1950 in 1925|
|Website Dedicated to Starship Research and Development|
|The Wireless Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens|
|Religious Loophole to Turn Lights On and Off During Shabbat|
|Where AI is Currently At|
|"A spacecraft may be possible that could maintain a steady acceleration into and through interstellar space without the need to carry along propellants."|
|The End of Doodling|
|"Super-detailed scans of actual human brains that run as models on computers"|
|"John Deere is the largest operator of autonomous vehicles."|
|“Trump is what happens when you fail to understand our global problems in their interconnected, systemic context.”|
|"How advertising has become increasingly persuasive and tailored in the age of big data"|
|"We’ve never before built machines that operate in ways their creators don’t understand."|
|Extinct Alien Civilisations|
|Building a High Powered Air Cannon with PVC Piping|