I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|That Mobile Phones Are Phones is Besides the Point|
|Do-It-Yourself Checkouts Here to Stay|
|Lonely? Get a Big White Robotic Blob|
|Scientists: Now That We Found the Higgs Boson, Light-Speed Travel Possible|
|Online Classes to Make Professors Extinct|
|"This very internationalism that contributed to the apocalyptic disaster that ended the Bronze Age."|
|"Fossil fuel executives want to get a piece of the clean-energy business."|
|Nerf John Wick|
|“There was not only automation but where the suggestion that humans had any control [...] was absent too.”|
|"Most of what kids currently learn at school will probably be irrelevant by the time they are 40."|
|Top 10 Reasons Men Are Scum|
|“The use of AI assistants may dramatically accelerate and broaden what might be looked back on as a global period of cognitive decline.”|
|“That glazed-over look a grandma has at a Vegas slot machine is the same look Facebook chases in its users scrolling the feed.”|
|Loneliness is Not an Old Friend|
|“You can make spaceships much bigger than anything we’ve seen so far in history.”|
|“One of the major concerns with asteroid mining is, of course, getting to the asteroids.”|
|“It's unbelievable how much energy is released.”|