I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|"If the world ends, getting contacts or glasses is going to be a huge pain in the ass."|
|It Is Becoming Increasingly Difficult to Get Lost|
|"The American auto industry will face a death spiral of epic proportions."|
|Facedeals: Facebook Check-Ins Using Just Your Face|
|"Half of students are chasing careers that will be made obsolete by advances in technology and automation."|
|Future Horizon's Plasma Lightsabers|
|“Everyone is doing it.”|
|Japanese Robot Serves Ice Cream From Inside a Vending Machine|
|“The U.S. is officially fighting wars in seven countries.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|“Democracy is dying in the full light of day. Who will step in and lead when it matters?”|
|“Facebook is a data collection service for those who want to sell you products.” #deleteFacebook|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|EM Drive Appears to Work in the Vacuum of Space|
|When the Wrong Hastag Can Get You Killed by an Assassination Drone|
|Naked Preacher Lady [NSFW]|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|