I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|What's Mine is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption|
|The Way to Speedier Travel: Get Rid of Train Stations|
|"New drugs [...] appear to vastly reduce the need for sleep without significant side effects."|
|11 Sci-Fi Predictions That Came True|
|The Growing Violence Against Technology Firms|
|"The world has lost its last shot at staving off dangerous global warming."|
|How to Build a 4 Barrelled Rocket Launcher|
|"I made a self driving potato."|
|Schools Monitoring Students' Social Media Feeds|
|"They don't want to believe that their own intelligence is deterministic."|
|WannaCry is Childsplay Compared to This|
|"Is meant to produce more energy than it consumes."|
|“Drone carrying defibrillators could begin operating in Sweden.”|
|“It’s not something you would expect to see there and not something we’ve seen there before.”|
|“Making paper out of stone.”|
|A Simple Task for CRISPR|
|“We have to forget steel as a core employer.”|