I love this idea by John Robb, who believes that a drone delivery service or an Internet of Drones, as he beautifully calls it could be used to create a short distance drone delivery service built on an open protocol.
Here's a simplified version of what I'm talking about:
- I put package onto a landing pad at my home.
- Drone arrives, takes package and flies away.
- Drone delivers package to landing pad at delivery location.
There's almost nothing technically in the way of this happening right now.
Here's how it would work in practice:
- My brother left his iphone at my house. I want to get it to him, but he lives 30 mi away (as the crow flies, 50 by driving).
- I put it into a delivery container and put it on a small landing pad outside my home.
- I order a drone on my phone and put the ID of the container into the order (I could just as easily use a drone I buy to do it P2P).
- A drone arrives 10 minutes later, picks up the container automatically.
- After a couple of hops, it arrives at my brother's landing pad, where it drops off the container and alerts him with an e-mail/text.
- Costs? Probably less than $0.25 per 10 mi. or so.So, about $0.75 in this instance. Time? An hour or so.
|Online Classes to Make Professors Extinct|
|Mourning the Loss of the Hard Copy Dictionary|
|Video Chats Instead of Jail Visitation|
|"You only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the entire United States."|
|Space Elevators: "totally feasible and a really smart idea."|
|“Google Owns 28% of Your Brain.”|
|“If the tech industry gets its way, none of your stuff will be yours anymore.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|How to Make a Secret Door/Bookcase|
|“A novel experiment by a government to work with journalists and educators to combat the spread of online misinformation.”|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“The race is on to create lab-grown meat products.”|
|“We’ve received requests to add some artificial noise to the buses so that people can hear them.”|
|Bird Shit Advertising|
|“When Life Gives You Lemons.”|
|Pat the Zombie: A Cruel Adult Spoof of 'Pat the Bunny'|