No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:
1. They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.
2. Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as the do so - okay Windows does that.
3. Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay Windows does that too.
4. Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.
5. Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.
Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences. Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as ther mature. So Windows is not a virus.
It's a bug.
|The Psychology Behind Our Screen Savers|
|CCC presents poetry-contest "Lyrical I"|
|Do you really think that ICQ is better than IRC?|
|Steve Ballmer Rendered in BSODs|
|Hacking Android Using Body Implants|
|“This 160-step biochemical process is very well studied, and surprisingly inefficient.”|
|“Eliminating the time needed to stop and re-charge a conventional electric car’s battery.”|
|“Nobody is forcing the participants to stay, of course, but if they leave, they won’t be paid.”|
|Making a Movie Inside a Video Game|
|“Our Internet handlers, not government, are using operant conditioning to modify our behaviour today.”|
|“During this phase of decline, the US was likely to go through a phase of reactionary 'fascism'.”|
|Google Map Shows You the Most Photographed Areas of the World|
|“We’re going to start to see chip implants get the same realm of acceptance as piercings and tattoos.”|
|“Within 30 years, half of humanity won't have a job. It could get ugly — there could be a revolution.”|
|“The shift from fuel and pistons to batteries and electric motors is unlikely to take that long.”|
|“After 78 years, the helicopter has been reinvented.”|
|Defacing Street Signs Can Send Self-Driving Cars Crashing|