Quartz's Jenny Anderson looks at a report released by the UK's Children's Commissioner where Instagram's terms and conditions have been rewritten in a child-friendly language. Reportedly, with ~50% of British children using Instagram, 0% of them understand "what they signed when they joined."
“…[I]f they made it more easy then people would actually read it and think twice about the app,” said another 13-year-old girl after being shown the revised policy. “One-third of internet users are children, but the internet wasn’t created for children,” Afia points out.
Afia thinks that once people become more aware of what they are giving up, they will demand better terms. But will they? Plenty of adults, after all, are signing similar terms and conditions without demanding that they be changed. Afia explains her optimism thus: “They don’t know what is being done, so no one is saying can it be done differently.”
Here is an example of how the child-friendly policy reads — you can read the full report here.
– Officially you own any original pictures and videos you post, but we are allowed to use them, and we can let others use them as well, anywhere around the world. Other people might pay us to use them and we will not pay you for that.
– Although you are responsible for the information you put on Instagram, we may keep, use and share your personal information with companies connected with Instagram. This information includes your name, email address, school, where you live, pictures, phone number, your likes and dislikes, where you go, who your friends are, how often you use Instagram, and any other personal information we find such as your birthday or who you are chatting with, including in private messages (DMs).
– We might send you adverts connected to your interests which we are monitoring. You cannot stop us doing this and it will not always be obvious that it is an advert.
– We can change or end Instagram, or stop you accessing Instagram at any time, for any reason and without letting you know in advance. We can also delete posts and other content randomly, without telling you, for any reason. If we do this, we will not be responsible for paying out any money and you won’t have any right to complain.
– We can force you to give up your username for any reason.
|NSA Spying Explained With Dick Pics|
|"The Internet of Things creates the perfect conditions to bolster and expand the surveillance state."|
|Advertising Cookies Let You Easily Be Tracked All Over the Web|
|Social Media Sites Can Learn Lots About You Even if You Are Not a Member|
|Miniature Mail Server With Privacy at its Core|
|"You could be targeted for ads for things you don’t even realize that you like."|
|“You become more difficult for an algorithm to understand, market to, or manipulate.”|
|"The machine had gotten inside the human’s head."|
|Smart Solar Panel Window Blinds|
|"Low-cost solar and human-powered vehicle."|
|"The most automated warehouse of its kind"|
|"How will that impact human evolution going forward?"|
|"Maybe someone liked my stuff."|
|Princess Leia’s Stolen Death Star Plans|
|Making a Movie Inside a Video Game|
|"Contact could mean extraordinary things for humanity if it happens soon."|