You know Upworthy, they're responsible for those clickbait headlines everyone (and their mother) share on Facebook about a million times. If you've had enough, the browser plugin Downworthy automagically rewords them for what they actually mean.
Downworthy replaces hyperbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. For example:
- "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
- "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
- "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
- "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
- "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
- "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
- "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
- ... and so on. (see the spoilers list below)
These articles are, in general, not nearly as bad as their titles - but the titles have become SO overblown, they're meaningless and annoying. But people still click, so the trend continues. Consider this me doing my part to stop the insanity.
|Shake the Staggering Beauty Vigorously|
|"The Internet is a transcendent idea." How the Internet Works|
|Mothers of Jews Who Like Bacon. Actual Facebook Graph Searches|
|The New York Times is 'Worth' Less Than Instagram|
|“In another context, this could be read as something akin to torture or brainwashing. For Facebook, it was just business as usual.”|
|“Systemd is, to put it mildly, controversial.”|
|“The Reality of Building Fantasy.”|
|“That is actually not the way the world has worked for most of human history.”|
|U.S.S. Enterprise Owner's Manual|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|iPhone 6, the First Smartphone to Disrupt NSA's Spying|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“The Amazon Dash button for horny men and women who don’t feel comfortable telling their partner they’d like to have sex.”|
|“Make all videos fun to watch.”|
|“If you’re dating, you’re going to be let down. You’re not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.”|
|Testing Whether the Earth is Round or Flat|