You know Upworthy, they're responsible for those clickbait headlines everyone (and their mother) share on Facebook about a million times. If you've had enough, the browser plugin Downworthy automagically rewords them for what they actually mean.
Downworthy replaces hyperbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. For example:
- "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
- "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
- "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
- "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
- "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
- "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
- "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
- ... and so on. (see the spoilers list below)
These articles are, in general, not nearly as bad as their titles - but the titles have become SO overblown, they're meaningless and annoying. But people still click, so the trend continues. Consider this me doing my part to stop the insanity.
|All Wikipedia Articles Lead to Philosophy (Eventually)|
|WiFi -- Why Are We All Still Paying for This?|
|Quit Facebook Day Falls Flat|
|"It's Not About Winning, It's About Getting Into the Zone": Facebook is Like Gambling|
|“Robots should be fitted with an 'ethical black box' to keep track of their decisions.”|
|"A helpful guide created by an unqualified individual."|
|"A real-time surveillance machine that has been developed for online advertising is rapidly expanding into other fields."|
|Making a Movie Inside a Video Game|
|"An unabashed love letter to the 1982 motion picture Blade Runner."|
|Fast, Clean, Cost-Effective Metal 3D-Printing|
|"You only need about 100 miles by 100 miles of solar panels to power the entire United States."|
|"Warp drives could become a real technology within the lifetimes of today’s toddlers."|
|"State borders are a lot weirder than they first appear."|
|Iron Star Civilizations|