You know Upworthy, they're responsible for those clickbait headlines everyone (and their mother) share on Facebook about a million times. If you've had enough, the browser plugin Downworthy automagically rewords them for what they actually mean.
Downworthy replaces hyperbolic headlines from bombastic viral websites with a slightly more realistic version. For example:
- "Literally" becomes "Figuratively"
- "Will Blow Your Mind" becomes "Might Perhaps Mildly Entertain You For a Moment"
- "One Weird Trick" becomes "One Piece of Completely Anecdotal Horseshit"
- "Go Viral" becomes "Be Overused So Much That You'll Silently Pray for the Sweet Release of Death to Make it Stop"
- "Can't Even Handle" becomes "Can Totally Handle Without Any Significant Issue"
- "Incredible" becomes "Painfully Ordinary"
- "You Won't Believe" becomes "In All Likelihood, You'll Believe"
- ... and so on. (see the spoilers list below)
These articles are, in general, not nearly as bad as their titles - but the titles have become SO overblown, they're meaningless and annoying. But people still click, so the trend continues. Consider this me doing my part to stop the insanity.
|Facebook Does What's Best For Facebook|
|Something important: The Internet, a rant|
|How Websites Are Responding to Ad Blockers|
|"They said they had been unaware that domains associated with their homeland were being sold for profit."|
|Robocoin: Bitcoin's First ATM|
|“A novel experiment by a government to work with journalists and educators to combat the spread of online misinformation.”|
|“The race is on to create lab-grown meat products.”|
|“Google Owns 28% of Your Brain.”|
|CaptchaTweet: Write Tweets in Captcha Form|
|The (Very Scary) People of Public Transit|
|How to Avoid Jury Duty|
|“We’ve received requests to add some artificial noise to the buses so that people can hear them.”|
|“When Life Gives You Lemons.”|
|Bird Shit Advertising|
|“Initial riders may be more comfortable getting into a car with a human in the driver seat.”|
|“Both spacecraft are still operational when they reached interstellar space.”|
|Darth Vader Surfing|